If you plan to be in New York City Thanksgiving morning, use this list we put together to make the most of this inspiring celebration. Let’s do this!
1. Find your viewing location. A Girl Scout is always prepared! This map will help you scope out the best views of the parade. Get there early! For more parade tips, visit macys.com/parade. To watch with your fellow Girl Scout sisters, we will have Girl Scout meeting points at the following locations: 65th Street and Central Park West, 55th Street and 6th Avenue, and 45th and 6th Avenue.
2. Show off your Girl Scout pride. Whether you’re in full uniform or sporting your troop sweatshirt, make sure you let the world—and other Girl Scouts—know you’re a Girl Scout! And don’t forget your hat and gloves to stay warm and when the Girl Scout float passes by, give it your best Girl Scout sign!
3. Get creative. Create your own fun, colorful signs and banners to bring with you to wave at the sidelines. More than 50 million people will be watching from home, so let’s show them what Girl Scout pride is all about!
4. Bring your SWAPS. What better way to meet new Girl Scout friends than by making SWAPS (Special Whatchamacallits Affectionately Pinned Somewhere) to trade at the parade? In case you didn’t know, SWAPS, an honored Girl Scout tradition, are small, girl-made tokens of friendship exchanged among Girl Scouts who meet while traveling. It’s so much fun!
5. Get a history lesson. Stop by where it all started—Herald Square. Located at 34th Street (yes, that miraculous 34th Street!) and Broadway/6th Avenue, Herald Square is not only where the parade ends, but also the location of the largest department store in the world—Macy’s!
6. Visit Girl Scout HQ. After your 34th Street adventure, take a stroll up to 37th Street and 5th Avenue to check out the national office of Girl Scouts of the USA at 420 5th Avenue – the offices will be closed Thursday, but the Girl Scout sign out front is a great backdrop for a photo opp.
7. Shop your favorite Girl Scout gear. While you’re enjoying Girl Scouts’ national office, stop by the national Girl Scout Shop and grab the latest Girl Scout gear or some gifts for your Girl Scout sisters back home—they’ll love it! The shop will be open on Black Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
8. Share your adventure with us. We want to see all the fun you’re having at the parade! Snap a picture of the action and share it on Instagram or Twitter using #GirlScoutsGiveBack and tagging @GirlScouts. And don’t forget to tell us why you love Girl Scouts for a chance to be featured on our social media pages!
We can’t wait to celebrate with you this Thanksgiving. Follow along on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for updates on the parade. Travel safe, Girl Scouts!
Are you catching the parade on television? Here are "8 Ways to Celebrate the Girl Scout Float from Home This Thanksgiving."